SSAO discussion

Advanced OpenGL source port fork from ZDoom, picking up where ZDoomGL left off.
[Home] [Download] [Git builds (Win)] [Git builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo] [Bugs&Suggestions]

Moderator: Graf Zahl

dpJudas
Developer
Developer

Re: SSAO discussion

Post by dpJudas »

Okay, tried playing that minimal portal demo and also a bit of Stronghold. Didn't really notice any artifacts at all. Theoretically they should be there, but they are so subtle that I'd have to look up in a map editor to figure out where the portals are. That effectively means I just have to track down that stripes bug and we got ourselves a SSAO pass. :D
Nash
Developer
Developer

Post by Nash »

dpJudas wrote:Okay, tried playing that minimal portal demo and also a bit of Stronghold. Didn't really notice any artifacts at all. Theoretically they should be there, but they are so subtle that I'd have to look up in a map editor to figure out where the portals are. That effectively means I just have to track down that stripes bug and we got ourselves a SSAO pass. :D
Wow, this soon? ^_^ What about the "having an actual usable depth buffer" thing Graf was talking about some pages back... ? Does that have anything to do with the SSAO pass to make it work correctly?

[sorry noob question]
dpJudas
Developer
Developer

Post by dpJudas »

What Graf described there would be the ideal situation, but that would require some change in how the portal rendering algorithm works. As I didn't have any good ideas on how to do that, I opted for an alternative solution where SSAO would only operate on depth pixels in the same portal.
Tormentor667
Stronghold Team

Post by Tormentor667 »

I like where this is getting to :) Concerning the portal stuff, if you mind sharing a new build, I can directly test it with BoA or older mods and let you know what places generate trouble.
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

I can build it but, my antivírus is conplaining about two files when compiling O_o
I never got that with gzdoom/zdoom/zandronum compiling
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

If you don't get that with the updaterevision.exe and fixrtext.exe from ZDoom or GZDoom, just use them instead.

Anyway if I interpret it correctly it's only suspecting the files from being infected with a generic virus, it's not a certain assessment. If so it's probably just a false positive.
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

if everything went right, here's the build http://www.mediafire.com/download/elooj ... 092016.zip
dpJudas
Developer
Developer

Post by dpJudas »

No idea what that virus thing is about. My branch is a clean feature branch with no exe's (use github's compare function up against gzdoom master for proof of that).

I'll compile a new test version myself, as soon as I figure out a solution to this problem:
(image shows what the SSAO pass thinks the reconstructed normal.z value is)

Until then I'm not uploading a new build because this bug will just ruin the feedback I'm looking for.
dpJudas
Developer
Developer

Post by dpJudas »

Think I managed to track down this issue. Here's the latest build: https://github.com/dpjudas/zdoom/releases/tag/ssao3

If you see any stripes in this version please let me know.
Nash
Developer
Developer

Post by Nash »

My weather system (uses a skybox) works perfectly in this. Nothing in the sky and clouds are affected by the SSAO pass. I'm happy. ;)

(OT: lens flare in my image is ACS/HudMessage-based and fake)
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

That looks so neat.
dpJudas
Developer
Developer

Post by dpJudas »

Very nice, Nash. You should also check out the starter area in E2M2 - especially with the DHTP texture pack. :D

Edit: wow, that weather system thing sure looks cool.
NashMuhandes

Post by NashMuhandes »

Tried the stock DOOM & DOOM 2 levels... SSAO does indeed look the best for indoor levels with mid-to-dark lighting. ie the contact shadows further enhance the dark moods, if that makes sense. :P

I did notice some strange behaviour with the SSAO shadows though, although I don't know how to describe it in text. It's better explained in motion... I'll upload a video later. :D

All in all, ULTRA impressive stuff dpJudas. Framebuffer is such a game changer. :D
Nash
Developer
Developer

Post by Nash »

Ok here's the video. Best watch it in HD to clearly see the issues and turn on annotations because I put floating annotations at roughly what I'm trying to point out on the screen. :) You're probably aware of all of these... or maybe you don't see them on your computer; I won't know. :D But yeah, this is what it looks like on my system and what I noticed.

Even despite these though, the image looks SO much more "detailed" and probably not even noticeable in actual, fast gameplay sessions. Heck, these might even be what's happening in commercial games and I probably just don't notice them enough. :P

Oh and BTW - the enhancements turned on in this video are: 8x AA, bloom, SSAO, lens distortion
Tormentor667
Stronghold Team

Post by Tormentor667 »

Nash wrote:Nothing in the sky and clouds are affected by the SSAO pass. I'm happy. ;)
would you mind sharing this build?

Return to “GZDoom”