A few requests... (and maybe bugs)

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Hobbs

A few requests... (and maybe bugs)

Post by Hobbs »

Alright, I've got a few things I have to tick down, from most important to least, and all I'd like ATM (or near it) is answers. Most of this has to do with how the game looks and its fairly nitpicky, but meh.

First: Could you please put regular freelook in this as an option? Because I dont think I'll ever get used to full up/down looking in Doom. And it spoils some of the good lookingness of the game IMO.

Second: If first doesnt get implemented (or even if it does) could you maybe adjust sprite angles for when you look at them at really high/really low angles? Again, the sprites make the game look bad with freelook.

Third: Could you allow the regular status bar to be shown when using the alternate hud (which is really cool)? Just seems like a good idea to me.

Finally: Could you release the source please? Just so we could look and marvel at it? I put this at the bottom because its an "extra icing on the cake" thing.
chaoscentral

Re: A few requests... (and maybe bugs)

Post by chaoscentral »

Hobbs wrote: Finally: Could you release the source please? Just so we could look and marvel at it? I put this at the bottom because its an "extra icing on the cake" thing.
source is out... go to the downloads post on the main page thingy...
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

First, how about a CVAR that restricts the angle
Second, I have no idea what to use to make it look good. Sprites are simply not suitable for looking straight up and down.
Third, why? The name 'fullscreen HUD' somewhat implies that there is no status bar visible.
solarsnowfall
Persecution Complex

Post by solarsnowfall »

IMO the freelook in GZdoom is a vast improvement over Zdoom's. You can look all the way up, and down, with no skew. Unless I'm alone here, I don't think it warrents any further change.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I don't think so either. BTW, if Randy ever gets Polymost done full look up and down will also be possible.

The only issue are the paper-thin sprites but all that could be done there is some hacks to work around the underlying problem. A proper solution doesn't exist.
BFeely

Post by BFeely »

I don't think so either. BTW, if Randy ever gets Polymost done full look up and down will also be possible.
That is, if it is a different "Polymost" engine from the one that JFDuke3D uses. Try running JFDuke3d in Polymost mode, and look all the way up or down with the screen size at its maximum (status bar off) and you will see HOM and it won't even let you look straight up or down.
BetaSword

Post by BetaSword »

Speaking of the full screen HUD... How is it enabled? Cause I can't seem to find an option to do so... Or any other way to do so...
Hobbs

Post by Hobbs »

In your .ini file replace this:

Code: Select all

hud_althud=false
with this:

Code: Select all

hud_althud=true
BTW if an option to restrict freelook was added I can't find it. If it wasn't well... meh.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I added a maxviewpitch CVar. But please note that this only applies to players, not cameras! I won't restrict cameras because someone might script one so that it requires a larger angle to work properly.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

BetaSword wrote:Speaking of the full screen HUD... How is it enabled?
Took me ages to find it too. I suggest that it be added to the display options menu near the stretch status bar option.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Done. I totally forgot to add this.
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

I found it fairly quickly: a tab search on "HUD_" in the console found it.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I should create a complete HUD setup menu. It's just too bad that ZDoom's menu code is rather rigid and hard coded so I'd have to rewrite large portions of it. :(
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

TheDarkArchon wrote:I found it fairly quickly: a tab search on "HUD_" in the console found it.
See that's where I was going wrong. I was typing alt and hitting tab because I thought it was called alt_hud. :)

Anyway, Graf's added it to the menu now so problem solved.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Graf Zahl wrote:and hard coded
I've seen that expression used a lot of times and I'm wondering, what does it actually mean? I used to assume that it simply meant that it was part of the exe. Thus, certain things could not be edited in dehacked or via other simple lumps because they were "hard coded" into the Zdoom engine rather than the original exe. But now I've seen discussions of certain monster behaviours not being accessible because they are "hard coded" and now the menu also has stuff that is "hard coded". Apparently my original assumption is wrong because surely you are diving into the code to change all the stuff you have so far. So, why is the menu "hard coded" and other things not?

So, what does hard coded mean? Does it mean that those sections of code are less accessible because they are written in some other way? Why can some monster behaviours be made available via DECORATE "code pointers" and some not?

I'm not being cheeky or anything. I actually want to know.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions”