Have config file autoload brightmaps.pk3 and lights.pk3

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Agent ME

Have config file autoload brightmaps.pk3 and lights.pk3

Post by Agent ME »

I think it would be a good idea for the default ini file generated by gzdoom have the two extra pk3's added in the global.autoload section so that these definitions are loaded by default and ready for use.

Code: Select all

[Global.Autoload]
Path=lights.pk3
Path=brightmaps.pk3
My reasoning on this:
A long time ago when I first started using Gzdoom, I didn't even recognize these two files as being similar to wads and being needed to be loaded manually. I regarded them with the same type of mysticism a normal user regards DLL files - don't touch them, leave them as they are, and they'll be used and all will work fine.
Sometime later I finally realized PK3s were like wads, holding lumps like wads and being able to be loaded like wads, but I figured these two were autoloaded just like the (g)zdoom.pk3 file. I figured I didn't have to manually load that file, and I shouldn't have to manually load these files.

And before anyone says that a user could obviously notice that lights and brightmaps weren't being used by gzdoom and that it should be obvious since they aren't there these need to be loaded - I figured back then that they were just some sort of extra data used by the engine to configure how lights worked. And when I played a mod that was set up to use its own lights, and I saw the lights, I figured that lights.pk3 was working fine at getting the lights to work. I had no clue that lights.pk3 was actually a set of definitions for the standard iwads.

It wasn't until I had started looking into the brightmaps feature and hearing that gzdoom had a default set of brightmaps for the games I realized these PK3s weren't being autoloaded. I enabled the brightmaps in the menu, and nothing seemed to change. I randomly decided on a whim to manually load the brightmaps PK3, and then saw that the brightmaps were loaded. I then decided to load the lights.pk3 file, and was surprised when normal doom 2 objects had lights attached. I had always figured the file was loaded automatically and that I wasn't missing anything.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

If I wanted that I would have added it already.
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

In fact, the whole point of having them in lights.pk3 and brightmaps.pk3 is so they're not autoloaded; otherwise they'd be in gzdoom.pk3 rather than their own files.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions”