Sector-restricted dynamic lights

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Sussudio

Sector-restricted dynamic lights

Post by Sussudio »

So lighting doesn't spread beyond the sector containing the candle sprite (outlined in cyan)
dark-slayer-201

Re: Sector-restricted dynamic lights

Post by dark-slayer-201 »

i see.
this can be useful, but can break other dynamic lights.
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

The way I understand it, you want to be able to define a dynamic light with straight-edge boundaries (e.g., to accurately represent light going around corners).

In your case, one (admittedly clumsy) work-around is to have one dynamic light right on/at the height of the flame portion of your torch. This would have a diameter about the same as the width of the alcove in which the torch is placed. Then you'd have one larger dynamic light in the corridor, with its diameter about the same as your straight-edged sector, and at the same height as the flame of the torch. Of course, this would cast a spherical glow, which would defeat your objective. To get around this you could install several lights close to floor and ceiling level, along the straight edges you want, and give these lights a very small radius.

It's not going to look terribly convincing, but it will be better than having the extra-large glow you currently have.
dark-slayer-201

oh, and gzdoom should never have "real time lighting" and "real time shadows" because it is a giant fps eater.
Example of RT-Stuff, play the "dark places" port for quake1 and turn on RT-World and RT-Shadows
Nash
Developer
Developer

Post by Nash »

ds201 wrote:oh, and gzdoom should never have "real time lighting" and "real time shadows" because it is a giant fps eater.
Example of RT-Stuff, play the "dark places" port for quake1 and turn on RT-World and RT-Shadows
Then it's your computer's fault. I can play Darkplaces with all settings maxed, 1920 x 1200, RT-World and RT-Shadows turned on, 2GB high res textures at a full 60 FPS. Just because YOUR computer can't handle it, doesn't mean others need to restrict their creativity and stop adding features to their engine...
dark-slayer-201

Just because your computer can handle it, doesnt mean that every single computer in the world can.
but anyway, i had a 2nd thought.
let it be added, only as an optional thing in the dynamic lights menu and off by default.
it is just my captop which cant handle it well at 800x600 with RT Shadows and HDR on.
My computer flawlessly renders that fine at 1280x1024 (max my monitor can go)
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

What graphics card do you have? Apparently something older...
dark-slayer-201

Computer - 128MB nvidia Geforce 6200 (works great on doom3 with ultra high quality), 1gb of DDR1 ram and 2.1ghz AMD processor.
Laptop - Intel Celeron 1.66ghz Dual Core T1600, 1gb of DDR2 Laptop Ram, 220MB Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator.

Laptop is great for the old skool like games, like zdoom and has full GL 1 and 2 Support (not sure about 3 yet) and Epic Games' Unreal Engine 2 (runs better than my old computer which was faster with geforce 6150LE)
Computer is good for ID Software's PK4 Engine and Epic Games' Unreal Engine 2, uses windows 7 and supports OpenGL 1,2 and 3
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

ds201 wrote:Computer - 128MB nvidia Geforce 6200 (works great on doom3 with ultra high quality), 1gb of DDR1 ram and 2.1ghz AMD processor.

That's wayyyy to old for any decent shader support. And I'm not surprised that DarkPlaces is choking. That card is what? 5 years old now? Yes, you can use it to play games of its own vintage but don't expect anything modern to run on it well.

And yes, that's considerably below my intended target hardware for my engine rewrite.
dark-slayer-201

Graf Zahl wrote:
ds201 wrote:Computer - 128MB nvidia Geforce 6200 (works great on doom3 with ultra high quality), 1gb of DDR1 ram and 2.1ghz AMD processor.

That's wayyyy to old for any decent shader support. And I'm not surprised that DarkPlaces is choking. That card is what? 5 years old now? Yes, you can use it to play games of its own vintage but don't expect anything modern to run on it well.

And yes, that's considerably below my intended target hardware for my engine rewrite.
well, it runs darkplaces fine with full RT-World, Shadows, etc. at about 35fps, which is really good for an old computer. and my darkplaces includes hires models and textures.
and my laptop has more troubles with the engine at 640x480
Tormentor667
Stronghold Team

Post by Tormentor667 »

Graf Zahl wrote:And yes, that's considerably below my intended target hardware for my engine rewrite.
What is this target hardware?
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

Tormentor667 wrote:What is this target hardware?
See this thread. Originally it was OpenGL 2.0-capable cards (see first post) but it has apparently been raised to OpenGL 3.0-capable cards (see last post of second page).

If you don't know what your card is capable of, you can use this program, it can tell you everything about your graphic hardware.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

To be precise, it will be OpenGL 2.1. However, some older 2.1 cards may have problems with how the shaders work.

For NVidia, for example, it will have to be GF8xxx or higher. The shader implementation on the 7xxx series has some limitations that will cost performance. And the shaders on the 6xxx series are possibly too slow. If you have a proper driver you may be able to switch it on - but no guarantees that it works well.
Sussudio

Post by Sussudio »

ds201 wrote:Computer - 128MB nvidia Geforce 6200 (works great on doom3 with ultra high quality), 1gb of DDR1 ram and 2.1ghz AMD processor
Your system is a piece of trash with capital T, and your delusions of obsolete hardware grandeur is laughable to say the least. Ultra High Quality was said to be reserved for high-end 512mb cards which weren't even out by the time Doom 3 was released. Of course, it all depends on your definition of "works great", but a mere slideshow certainly isn't mine.

Anyways, justified or not (lack of time and/or ability being the common reasons) it's programmers the people responsible for this pointlessly obscene hardware consumerism. Even a piece of crap Voodoo5 would still be able to properly handle the current GZDoom lighting capabilities (no kidding, have a look at some of the games from the era) if Graf had the disposition to permit so by avoiding shaders and other inefficient shortcuts.

Now back to the feature suggestion, well, quite honestly I ain't getting my hopes up for this one, afteralls, we're still waiting for coronae :mrgreen:
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Sussudio wrote:[have a look at some of the games from the era) if Graf had the disposition to permit so by avoiding shaders and other inefficient shortcuts.

Why should I invest work to support old and obsolete hardware? GF6xxx I see a point for and I won't drop support for it but Voodoo 5? Optimizing for such old hardware would mean to compromise the performance on current hardware which is much more important.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions”