Anti-Aliasing Menu Discussion

Advanced OpenGL source port fork from ZDoom, picking up where ZDoomGL left off.
[Home] [Download] [Git builds (Win)] [Git builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo] [Bugs&Suggestions]

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Nash
Developer
Developer

Anti-Aliasing Menu Discussion

Post by Nash »

Eruanna wrote: We're going to need a new menu for all these new features though - the one we have is getting pretty full fast. :)
IMO: Leave anti-aliasing (and call it that because that's the "buzzword" most common gamers know about) as a single setting, that you can flip through for the various modes of AA (MSAA, FXAA, SSAA etc). Not unlike the "high quality resize mode" option already in GZDoom.

This is how AA is normally shown to the user in modern games... and makes things look standardized. :D My 2 cents!
Last edited by Nash on Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:22, edited 1 time in total.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Re: FXAA Test

Post by Rachael »

I don't really like that, but it may work.

If we do go that route, though, offering the option to combine SSAA with MSAA or SSAA with FXAA should definitely be on the menu. I think that can be done with a menu-specific CVar that makes the appropriate C++ calls, though not sure exactly how it is done.

Honestly, I'd prefer to just have a menu where you fine-tune your settings. MSAA should be changed into a slider, SSAA should also be added as a slider (along with the no-filter option for upscaling below it, which can gray when the scale cvar >= 1.0), and I think _mental_'s menu setting is fine as-is.

If there needs to be a "simple" AA menu option, it can automatically set the options individually and then the user can go into the "advanced" menu and fine-tune it.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Re: FXAA Test

Post by Graf Zahl »

I agree that once everything has been sorted out, all the postprocessing options should either be placed into a dedicated group on the preferences page or a new 'Postprocessing options' should be added.

About the AA modes, since they are separate entities there should be an option to stack them. With powerful enough hardware it may be of benefit. Dumbing down the user interface is not something I approve of.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Re: Anti-Aliasing Menu Discussion

Post by Rachael »

Split again. >_>

Return to “GZDoom”