I wanna write a video game!

Stuff you want Bio to see. [Home]

Moderator: BioHazard

BioHazard

I wanna write a video game!

Post by BioHazard »

Recap:
BioHazard wrote:I'm tired of writing crappy dialog-based things.
I need to write a program that could possibly generate donations. So now I wanna write a crappy 2D video game, but I have got questions:

What graphics subsystem I should use?:
DirectX probably has good features, but then it's windows locked.
OpenGL comes with VC and I have played wit it a bit, but I don't know if you MUST have a 3d accelerator to run stuff with it. (testing can solve this one)
MasterOFDeath wrote:Use OpenGL. I personally want to see you take a shot at a 3d engine one day :P
TheDarkArchon wrote:OpenGL
QBasicer wrote:The best idea is to use Allegro (http://alleg.sf.net) because it's cross platform and has great docs, and use it's cross platform add-on lib, AGL. OpenGL is cross platform, but some of it isn't (window messages, stuff like that, so you'd have to learn hwo to do it in windows and how to do it in raw X11, IMO, using Allegro is the easiest).
BioHazard wrote:Remember: I just want to make a sprite game thing. No 3D yet. What is the easiest thing to draw bitmaps on the screen?

DirectDraw comes to mind...
MasterOFDeath wrote:DirectDraw is good for sprites but it requires DirectX. Now that I think about it, take QBasicer's advice and use Allegro.
BioHazard wrote:Well, I got to thinking and however I write it, it's going to be pretty tightly tied to Win32. Unless I can figure out a better way to manage everything (input and sound)... I think I'll just use OpenGL, I at least know it a little... I might even try DirectX if OGL doesn't work. I really hate to say it but: "Sucks for the Linux people (even though I'll probably be one someday)"

Other than that, what kind of game should I make? I was thinking of some crappy RPG knockoff, that should be easy enough to write.
I would really like some help thinking up a concept for a simple addictive parlor/puzzle game. Those are pretty easy to write too as long as AI doesn't get involved...

Another problem: Art... I'm no artist and Etsuko has said "I won't draw anything for you, use a box or something" If there is going to be anything more complex than crappy geometric shapes. I'll need an artist. An I won't rip sprites from other games either...

Dang, I really want to make this. I should make a small team or something. "BioSoft Games" hehe :)
MasterOFDeath wrote:RPG games can get very complex. Start off simple, say a contra-style sidescrolling shooter, or even something as simple as a simple mario-style jumping puzzle scroller. Basically, any sidescroller is a good start. As for artwork, I'll do what I can, but be warned, I can't do anything large or complex. I would be ideal for smaller tiles.
BioHazard wrote:I meant RPG as in guy walking around running into walls and stuff.

A sidescroller would require gravity, which means physics, which means math...
MasterOFDeath wrote:Ah, I see your point now.

lol mario with ragdoll
QBasicer wrote:Allegro is very simple, yet very powerful, but it also has nothing to do with Win32 style programming (messages and stuff), which you might not be into. It can handle sound, joystick, and other stuff very easily. I don't know about DD and DX, though.

The only thing Allegro can't do is a menubar, system mouse (it uses it's own), and user-resize. (I guess there's other stuff too).
MasterOFDeath wrote:I downloaded Allegro and checked out the website. The win32 binaries do have some DX involvement.
Grubber wrote:Use SDL.
BioHazard wrote:Well, I have decided on what kind of game I can make with my current skill:
I already have all the plans written up. It will be great!

I'm going to keep the game definitions in a single file with a structure similar to WAD files (if I keep it close enough, XWE can be the editor). The game writing will be made with simple text files: GAMEDEF for the game in the screenshot

This is gonna be cool! Anyone want to write up a quick story for a sample game to come with the engine?
MasterOFDeath wrote:Will this have any of those cool roguelike elements, say randomly generated areas, iventory, items with special properties, etc.? Because if you have anything like this I want in on this full :D
BlazingPhoenix

Post by BlazingPhoenix »

lol.
Paul
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by Paul »

Interesting. I'd like to play this :)
BioHazard

Post by BioHazard »

Nobody seemed to care about BAVE so I put it on the back burner. I'm working on some other stuff right now, but if someone seriously wants to make a game for it, I could start it back up...
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

It looks like a fun and easy system to work with, and besides, I've always wanted to make an interactive fiction game. (It ought to be more fun to work with than ADRIFT, anyway.)
killingblair

Post by killingblair »

Looking cool. :thumb:
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

One place for inspiration on crappy video games is ticalc.org. Those guys are nuts, building stuff in Z80 Assembly for a Graphing Calculator.

Return to “Bio's Site-Place”