Questions about posting my weapons mod

Do you have a question about making weapon mods, or do you just need some tutorials and resources? Ask about all of that here.

Moderator: wildweasel

Mr. Mistoffelees

Questions about posting my weapons mod

Post by Mr. Mistoffelees »

Dear Doom Armory Members,

Greetings to all of you! I have a weapons mod for EDGE 1.29 I would like to post here on the forums, but I wanted to make sure it was alright and request some help and guidance.

The mod is clean (no profanity/nudity/other filth), but I have put in a couple of weapons from other mods. I have tried to credit every source, but I don't know the origins of a few things I used.

The reason I'm telling everyone this is to avoid any knee-jerk reaction of people thinking I'm trying to take credit for things that aren't mine, and ask for help in identifying some of the sources. If I post the mod, and anyone sees an unidentified/uncredited source, could you please tell me?

Thank you all. I don't want to start off my new membership here on the wrong foot, and I just want to be above-board and all that. I've worked on this mod for several years, but have never released *anything* Doom-wise, so this is (very) new for me.

Take care, everyone!
-Mr. Mistoffelees
Chronoteeth

Post by Chronoteeth »

Usually people are only gonna get angry if it is a straight up take from another mod, but if you borrowed some code or sprites from another, then it's not too bad as long as you give credit.
DuduKrazy

Post by DuduKrazy »

you must also pay attention if there's any weapon that has been used too much in other mods (people usually refer to it as overused weapons). some good examples are the Riot Gun from Shadow Warrior, most of the missile launchers from Rise Of The Triad, etc. oh yeah. and make sure that there isn't any weapon ripped from Immoral Conduct because AFAIK, the author stated that no one should rip the weapons. (although most people don't care about that)
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

As long as it's obvious that you yourself have put in a good amount of effort into putting the mod together (and not, say, just copy and pasting weapons together), there's no reason we'd get angry about it. There are a few jerks in the community that treat weapon mods (and their creators) like crap, but they don't pop up that often.
Mr. Mistoffelees

Thank you all for the advice! I really appreciate it, and here are the only problems I foresee.

Out of 30+ weapons, I have 2 direct copies: the combat knife from Nick Perrin's original Marines of UAC mod, and the Shield Gun by (I think) Snarboo. I also used the graphics to the Automatic Pistol from Don's Challenge, but I've otherwise avoided using anything from Corry Whittle, Shadow Warrior, Blood, etc. Except for the Aerosol Can, but you can see for yourself. I also used the secondary fire of a weapon from another mod, which I'll need help identifying.

I have only done ONE of the graphics completely by myself, but most of the coding is mine. The mod itself is basically a grab bag of all my weapon ideas, plus other weapons I really like. If I post it, could you give me pointers on what to modify and whose graphics are whose?

Thank you all again!
-Mr. Mistoffelees

P.S. I don't think you will like it a whole lot, Wildweasel, since I've read that you don't like mods without a specific theme. Still, I would be very happy if you did play it! :)
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

Mr. Mistoffelees wrote: I also used the graphics to the Automatic Pistol from Don's Challenge,
Don's Challenge stuff is fine as long as it was taken from the latest version. Another word of advice: don't use anything by Ebola/Kristus.
Mr. Mistoffelees

Thank you, DarkArchon: I'm glad I can use the pistol because it works well as a netgun. I've tried to make my weapons as odd as possible, and included others because I liked them, even though they aren't quite different from each other (I have too many shotguns, basically). I do have miscellaneous weapons, though, including a shrinker, net-casting gun (yes, it can tie enemies up), flamethrower that can set things on fire, nailgun/minelayer, and laser-guided spidermines. The neatest one is a weapon based on the Spidergun from Unreal II, but turned into a hellish theme. As I said, it's mainly a grab bag of stuff I like. Oh, and a bow that impales enemies to walls: doesn't look perfect, but this isn't Half-Life 2 or F.E.A.R., either. These new features are mainly what I want to share with everyone, so hopefully it will be pleasing to everyone.

Thank you all again!
-Mr. Mistoffelees
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Mr. Mistoffelees wrote:P.S. I don't think you will like it a whole lot, Wildweasel, since I've read that you don't like mods without a specific theme. Still, I would be very happy if you did play it! :)
I'm curious to know where you heard that from - the way I see it, as long as it's not yet another 100-weapon mashup like AEOD or another Counter-Strike or Doom 3 weapon pack, I'm perfectly fine with it.
Chronoteeth

Post by Chronoteeth »

MOUAC has a black gloved knife. Do all the weapons have black gloves to boot? Or did you modify them? Usually mods with different gloves suck.
Visplane_Overflow

Post by Visplane_Overflow »

wildweasel wrote:...another 100-weapon mashup like AEOD...
You mean Aeons of Death? I'm pretty sure it was more of a hundred-monster mashup rather than a hundred-weapon mashup. It never seemed overwhelming for me =p
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Visplane_Overflow wrote:
You mean Aeons of Death? I'm pretty sure it was more of a hundred-monster mashup rather than a hundred-weapon mashup. It never seemed overwhelming for me =p
The mod still has more weapons than is absolutely necessary, last I checked - but my complaint is more about the mods that spawned afterwards, like 100gunsX among others.
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

Visplane_Overflow wrote:
It's a thousand-monster mashup along with a hundred-monster mashup.
Mr. Mistoffelees

Yup, that's kinda what I meant. I love AoD, by the way. Still, my mod (at least the programming parts that are mine) mainly demonstrate various neat tricks and such to make interesting weapons. I do hope you enjoy it once I post it (I'm trying to get the weapon descriptions done and fill in all the credits I know of). After I get the text files in order, I'll release it for everyone. I think I may be wiser to re-classify this release as a beta, because I don't have many sounds implemented, and things like casings could be improved a lot. I hate to classify the graphics or coding as "done", though, since I'm one of those people who just can't leave a good thing alone, but has this irresistable urge to make things better. Another thing is that the acquirement of weaponry is... lacking. An acquirement system like your Cold Hard Cash mod would be ideal, or something like Aeons of Doom, but I'm not planning on making a new enemy just so it drops a certain weapon. My mod does have some new enemies, though, and I'm implementing resistances and susceptabilities to certain types of damage for each of them.

Thank you all for being so pleasant! I really wasn't expecting it, and am very grateful to you all!

Take care!
-Mr. Mistoffelees
Mr. Mistoffelees

Dear Everyone (especially Wildweasel),

Um... I can't upload my file here, since the file is over 4 megabytes. I read the official thread on NOT using Rapidshare (in addition to about 5 others places), but that doesn't do much since I'm not sure how to use them anyway, even if I found one that does work. Advice, suggestions, and help will be GREATLY appreciated, and my apologies for bugging all of you.

Thank you!
-Mr. Mistoffelees
Chronoteeth

Post by Chronoteeth »

Zip it and upload it to a site that usually works, or throw in an RS and post it anyways. You could email it to WW and ask him to host it too, he's usually nice about that.

Return to “Weapon Modding Help & Resources”