Website designers helpeth!

Anything that doesn't fit into other forums.
Cutmanmike

Website designers helpeth!

Post by Cutmanmike »

Is there any web site designers here willing to help a poor man out? Basicly I just want a REALLY simple page for my site. I've had my FTP for at least a year now and never had an index page for it.

Basicly I just need a page with possibly a not-so-irritating frame on the left with sections like news, doom, other, about and maybe a small frame at the top with the title. Really simple. Simple as the GZdoom page would do me just fine.

So really what i'm asking for here I guess is a template. I have no idea how to deal with frames or anything either...

Anyone?
grubber
Site Founder

Post by grubber »

Can you draw an image showing how it should look like (including widths/heights of the stuff etc.)?
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

Alright I will later. Also I think the term "frame" I used was a bit off. I don't want of those HORRIBLE scrolly bar things (like zdoom.org has at the moment :P).
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

Ok so I suck at drawing so i'll make this cheap and easy and say that I like the new ZDoom.org page (the "frame" without the scroll bar). Obviously different styles/colours (red+black ftw) though, and no fancy buttons.

Heck if there was a half decent webpage editor out there i'd just steal it and make amendments but I just can't figure it out for the life of me.
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

Rar! I could even put up with something like this (apart from the crap quality picture)

Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

No cutman love? Gah. Can someone at least point me in the direction of a good webpage builder then?
BioHazard

Post by BioHazard »

Just go learn HTML from a tutorial on http://www.tizag.com and do it yourself, we are all very busy people.
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

Better yet, get a basic grasp of HTML and then grab a template from http://www.oswd.org/ to modify to your tastes.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Or just use a simple program like Adobe GoLive! It's what I do. My site ain't spectacular, but it works for what I want :P
BioHazard

Post by BioHazard »

Phobus wrote:Or just use a simple program like Adobe GoLive!
/me points to his ZDF title.
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

Friends don't let friends use GoLive.
Who what why where?
BioHazard

Post by BioHazard »

I'm forced to use GoLive at work. It's crap. In fact, it's worse than crap. I can't accurately describe how awful GoLive is since all the proper adjectives have been used to describe simply bad things. GoLive is beyond the scope of current synonyms for awful.

I'd do it by hand, but the people here (my boss) can't fathom how someone could possibly write a web page without a visual editor. I hate taking credit for my companies web site, it sucks worse than 2 dysons tied together.

Anyway, I could write a small novel about all the things I loathe about GoLive, but I don't want to waste everyone's time with an Enjay-style rant post.

Code: Select all

<span style="font-weight:bold;"><b><strong></span>Text</b></strong>
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

Well I see how one could easily do a webpage if they know the code, but tools make life easier for those who only need to do one simple page without having to learn everything first :P
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Well, Bio, for me and my simplisitc intentions, it's easy. I don't even need to use any HTML, as I can do it all like I was laying out a Publisher document. That's how I've been doing it. The intricate stuff below the basic web design aspect are beyond my scope for being bothered :P
Nash
Developer
Developer

Post by Nash »

The only reason I bother learning XHTML and CSS is so that I can mod MySpace pages and actually know what the hell I am doing. I'm getting sick of those copy and paste MySpace editors.

On top of that, I get to impress my friends by coding HTML without even using any visual editors.

Friend: "Hey Nash, how do I do XYZ for my profile?"

* Nash bangs some shit out in the text editor in front of friend.

Friend: "Whoa, how did you do that?!"

Other than that... I don't really give a crap about web design. I'm on the same "I just need a simple website" boat. Even my supposedly "website" is really just the typical file index thing. Who the hell cares!

If I eventually do care about making a proper website... I actually love using Macromedia Dreamweaver for web authoring.

Return to “Off-Topic”